Career Opportunities, Facts & Tips
Many companies are telling me they think 2014 will be a great year for them; hopefully you are feeling the same way and hiring will continue to pick up. Now if only our politicians could....well, you know.
I always advise hiring managers that the best indicator of future performance is past performance. As part of that perspective, my favorite interview questions are behavioral questions which focus on past performance, such as, "Tell me about your recent performance appraisal-if you did not have a written one, tell me about verbal feedback you got from your boss-what areas did she or he say you needed to improve upon?" After the candidate's initial response, I ask, "OK, what other areas did she/he say you needed to improve upon?"
For a list of other behavioral questions, you might want to go to: https://www.hr.utah.edu/training/pdf/Interview_Questions.pdf.
Current Career Opportunities
- Director of Technology
- This role is responsible for running the entire national labor management technology team. Must have strong experience with Labor Management Standards and related software. At least 8 years of related experience required. National consulting firm. 100k to 150k base, Chicago.
- Distribution Center Consultant (2)
- Client is a prestigious consulting firm. New full-time opportunities for engineers with extensive material handling systems experience. Will advise clients about material handling system selection and implementation. Must be promotable to a project manager role long-term. Must have a steady resume and four-year engineering degree, preferably with 2-10 years of material handling experience. Must have AutoCAD facility layout experience. Full-time. Pay to the 80's 90's, maybe 35% travel, relocation required and assistance provided. Ohio
- Distribution Data Analyst
- Client is a prestigious distribution consulting firm. Must have a four year degree, strong analytical skills, and experience analyzing and communicating distribution center product data. Excellent excel skills. Northeast.
- Must have strong leadership experience from a large or mid-size company in the material handling systems industry. Ohio. Base to high 100's, plus ownership shares and bonus. NOTE: Client expects to give this search the green light in January or February, no further details can be shared yet.
- Vice President, Transportation Management Services (TMS)
- Focus on TMS solutions design, scorecard formulation, capacity management, and outsource management, etc. This is a newly created role. Client is a prestigious international shipping company based in Hong Kong which prefers American candidates for this search, extensive and generous compensation package. Will sponsor work visa for family. Candidates should have a proven track record and be able to establish a transportation management services department. Full-time. HONG KONG!
- Manager of Field Installation
- Must have strong material handling project management experience. Will supervise/direct contractors and at least one mechanic. About 25% travel. To 90's. Engineering degree preferred but not required. Strong communication and PM skills required. Northeast.
- Technical Services Manager
- Set up a national service department focused on customer care and resolving technical issues. Strong project management and communication skills. Client is a manufacturer and engineering services company. Virginia/Delaware/DC/ Pennsylvania/Maryland region. Client will consider someone with good project management or sales experience. New position created to strong sales growth. 90-120k.
- Project Managers (3)
- Must have experience managing material handling projects. Sales are booming, average project is 500k or more. Salary 70-100k+, depending on experience. Must be able to run projects and work with customers, engineering degree not required. AutoCAD experience preferred but not required. Three different clients with openings in Ohio, Maryland, and New Jersey.
- Director of Logistics Engineering/DC Industrial Engineering
- Corporate client, annual sales $3B+. High growth company with U.S. and international DC's. Must have strong experience with material handling system engineering and have managed projects in excess of $5M. Base salary to maybe 130k. California.
- Logistics Engineering/DC Industrial Engineer
- Corporate client, annual sales $3B+. High growth company with U.S. and international DC's. Must have strong experience with material handling system engineering, WMS, LMS, etc. and have managed material handling projects. Base salary to maybe 90k. California.
- Conveyor Systems Engineers (3)
- Two different clients who are integrators, both new positions created due to strong business growth. Relocation provided, to 90k or so. Must have good AutoCAD, facility layout experience and a four year engineering degree. Relocation provided, Ohio, New Jersey and Maryland.
- Controls Engineers
- Four openings with four clients in Colorado, Kentucky, Maryland, and Ohio. One client is an integrator, one is a manufacturer, one is a controls service provider, one is in the baggage industry. Must have experience with AutoCAD, Allen-Bradley, and commissioning a variety of material handling systems. Maybe 20-30% travel. Relocation provided.
- Controls Engineering Manager
- Must have experience managing and implementing material handling controls systems. Wonderware experience would be a plus, but is not required. Client is a manufacturer and will pay for relocation. Kentucky. NOTE: Position was recently put on HOLD
- Controls Manager
- In charge of PM electrical people and projects. Mid-south region, 90-110k.
- Mechanical Engineer, Baggage Handling
- Target salary 70-80k, Rocky Mountains. Paid relocation.
- Structural Engineer with a Professional Engineer (P.E.) designation
- To 100k, must be promotable in a few years. Distribution center experience not required. Relocation provided to the PA/NJ region.
- AutoCAD Designer/Drafter
- Must have strong DC layout experience. Salary 40's or 50's dependent upon experience. Ohio.
- Director of Sales
- Reports to a VP/Practice leader who owns a vertical. This individual is very operational from a "solutions" perspective and must have had some level of sales experience as a consultant/presales, etc. Client is looking for people out of the consulting realm or from "solutions" companies in the following industries: material handling integration; voice; LM technology; Inventory; transportation. Consulting firm, 90 to 125k base. Chicago
- Distributor/Manufacturer Representative
- Focused on growing sales with material handling integrators, distributors, and manufacturers. Client is a manufacturer with strong relationships with top companies in the material handling systems industry. Focus of the role is managing existing relationships and building new ones with integrators and manufacturers. National travel but a Midwest focus. Base to 100k depending on experience, plus very generous commission. Candidates in or near Ohio somewhat preferred.
- West Coast Systems Sales Manager
- Must have a steady record of selling multi-million dollar systems. Salary open, could exceed 100k base. Company is manufacturer of competitive sortation systems. Home office.
- Sr. Sales Engineer (2)
- Client is looking for an engineer with a background in material handling systems. Individual will personally seek new sales opportunities and perform some of the associated engineering work. Will help mentor junior sales professionals. High base salary and commission, will be dependent upon experience. Clients are well-known national firms, will consider paying for relocation, but local candidates preferred. California and Washington.
- Sales Engineer (2)
- Client is looking for an engineer with a background in material handling systems. Individual will personally seek new sales opportunities and perform some of the associated engineering work. Base salary and commission, will be dependent upon experience. Client, a well-known national firm, will consider paying for relocation, but California and Ohio region candidates preferred.
- National Food and Beverage Market Sales Manager
- Client is an international manufacturer. Must have record of success in food and beverage market. Can be a home office arrangement for the right individual, relocation available. Midwest candidates are preferred. Base to 120k, plus commission.
- Automatic Guided Vehicle Sales Manager.
- Experience selling AGV's (preferred) or very complex material handling systems and a steady record of sales success required. Client would prefer someone living in the West or Mountain region, but will consider all locations for a qualified candidate. This is an individual contributor role. Client is a well-established manufacturer, salary and commission dependent upon experience.
- Technology Solutions Manager
- Client is seeking a Technology Solutions Manager who will be responsible for creating a sales and marketing plan to sell high-level technology solutions for West Coast territory. The individual will set and sell to aggressive sales quotas for telemetrics, LMS software, lift truck solutions. The successful candidate will have 5+ years of material handling equipment sales experience. Primary client business is in the lift truck industry. West Coast.
Refer a Friend
Do you know anyone who might be interested in hearing about these full-time career opportunities? If you know of someone who is interested and qualified, please have them send their resume and salary history in confidence to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note: All of these positions require candidates who currently have the lawful right to work in the U.S. Unfortunately, we do not have opportunities for recent college graduates. We are committed to the principles of Equal Employment Opportunity and diversity-we only work with hiring managers who share our commitment.
If you are currently hiring professionals in these occupations, please call us or send an email to: email@example.com.
SUPPLY CHAIN CONSULTING SEARCH provides reputable consulting firms, integrators, and manufacturers with full-time employees at no cost to the candidates. All of our opportunities require at least two years of supply chain experience. We specialize in placing experienced professionals with expertise in the following occupations:
- Consultants (MHE/WMS/LMS/TMS/Optimization/DC Plan-Design-Build)
- Industrial Engineers/Logistics Engineers
- Field Sales Professionals and Managers
- Conveyor Systems Engineers
- MHE Controls Engineers
- Field Installation Supervisors/Managers
Make learning a new software program one of your New Year's resolutions. More than ever before, candidates who have learned a software program in their field increase their internal and external marketability, especially as recruiters search for specific software words on Linkedin and job boards. Don't forget to write down your goals on January 1; research has shown people who write down their goals are far more likely to achieve them.
Supply Chain Factoid Pop Quiz
You might find the following excerpt from a recent DC Velocity article about a Capgemini study interesting:
The "Supply Chain Impact" study was based on the results of an online survey of 1,000 consumers and 150 senior supply chain managers at retail, consumer products, and distribution companies with at least $1 billion in revenue. The survey, which was conducted for Capgemini by KRC Research, revealed:
- ____ percent of U.S. consumers say they are likely to shop with another retailer in the future if an item is delivered late;
- 73 percent would purchase from a different store than originally intended if they were unable to find an item they wanted in stock, and 29 percent would decide not to purchase the item at all.
- A: 45%
- B: 64%
- C: 89%
- D: 98%
Quote of the Month
"So much of what we call management consists in making it difficult for people to work."
- Peter F. Drucker, Management Guru
3600 N. Hayden Rd., Box 3713
Scottsdale, AZ 85251
On The Web: www.supplychainconsultingsearch.com
feel free to send an invite to me to join your linkedin network, I post my newest searches on it.